Saturday, May 17, 2008

I had planned on using this Saturday to explore Washington, but my excursion has been postponed due to the happenings of the previous evening. That's right: Friday night drama. The evening began well-intended and low-key with plans to watch the Lakers playoff game against the Utah Jazz at a sports bar in the city. But one miscommunication after another caused four of us to end up in Adams Morgan while the majority had gone to the Georgetown neighborhood, and what should have been a half hour commute turned into a two and half hour adventure. Apparently, this is what happens when you allow a group of men to coordinate a social event. By the time we arrived at the crowded, classless, hip-hop-blasting bar in Georgetown, the game was nearing the end of the third quarter. Before I was able to get settled at a table with the few friends who actually went out to see the game, I received a few comments (undoubtedly encouraged by alcohol) which indicated that petty-- and untrue-- rumors regarding my opinion of certain individuals had been circulating. Needless to say, it wasn't the most fun night out, despite my determination to have a positive attitude and enjoy the company of friends. At least the Lakers won.

We got back home at about 2:30 and I decided that reading my Bible would be the only way to make the frustration in my mind fade away enough to sleep. I read Matthew 11:28 and Hebrews 4:16, which say, "come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." and "Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." Just as I was about to drift into sleep, my phone rang. Who was calling at 3:30 in the morning?! It was my apartmentmate, Sara, whom I had accidentally locked out. (Mom, you will appreciate knowing that our door has both a bolt and a chain, in addition to the normal key lock). After everything that had happened Friday night, a very unsophisticated hour-long debriefing of the evening was in order.

I had been asleep for about 3o minutes when I woke up (if you've been keeping track, it's now about 5 am) and realized that someone was in the bathroom. Throwing up. Well of course that made me slightly nauseated too (I am far too empathetic). My poor roommate, Lindsey, had come down with the stomach flu in the middle of the night. I got her some water, saltines and mints and talked with her for awhile to distract her from the queasiness. I finally got back to sleep at about six, knowing that my day was shot, but finally able to laugh at the absurdity of this sequence of events.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I read everything and I hope everything is getting better from your Friday night. I look forward to talking to you!
-Holly