Friday, May 9, 2008

First Impressions

Where to begin? Right now I'm sitting on the living room sofa with my apartmentmate Sara, happily exhausted from the activities of the past 24 hours spent in Crystal City, the Arlington neighborhood where our high-rise apartment building is. After a short delay in Miami, I finally landed in Washington at 5:15 pm, just an hour before the group dinner. Getting to the apartment building was no problem, though when I stepped inside the lobby I thought I had made a mistake. This place was way too upscale to be home for the next 10 weeks. But the front desk handed me a key and I took the elevator to the 16th floor where my apartmentmates were all waiting for me. Tired but energized by adrenaline, we quickly changed clothes for dinner and took the metro with the group to a Mediterranean restaurant where we stayed for three hours. On the way back, my new shoes gave me new blisters. And we got caught in a thunder storm. I arrived back at the apartment tired, bleeding and soaking wet. But at the same time, I hardly cared because I was (and still am) so happy to start experiencing life in Washington.

It rained all day today, so the long-awaited scavenger hunt has been postponed to tomorrow. Luckily, we were able to complete our program orientation sessions instead, which means that the rest of the weekend will be spent exploring the city and settling in. Sara, Kristi, Lindsey and I went to the grocery store and Target today to stock up on some basics. By the time we returned and had everything put away, it was already 7:15. I decided to make parmesan crusted chicken for dinner, and you better believe I enjoyed all that granite kitchen counterspace. Sara and I ate while Kristi and Lindsey worked out in our apartment's gym. I'm way too tired to go to the gym tonight. I'll go tomorrow.

No comments: